Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wisdom Wednesday - Ask Questions Before it's Too Late!

These are words of wisdom that I am taking to heart myself. Every genealogist runs into the problem of unanswered questions and no one left to answer them. My mother's family has almost reached that point now. A few years ago I would have told you that I was asking enough questions but now I know much more about questions
Here is a short list of things I have learned about genealogical questions:
  1. Questions multiply quickly - once you start asking.
  2. There is no way you can know all of the questions you should ask before a conversation or interview.
  3. No one has all of the answers but everyone has a piece of the answer.
  4. Most people love answering questions.
  5. Every answer brings with it many more questions.
  6. More questions go unanswered than there are questions that will be answered.
  7. Someday it will be too late to ask the questions.
  8. I love questions!
Happy Asking!

1 comment:

  1. A very good point. I've sat down with relatives to ask questions and think I'm being proactive and asking everything I need to know, but then I get home and the questions have multiplied!

    ReplyDelete