Sunday, August 2, 2009

Chance Meetings




Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time.

A couple of weeks ago, cousin Glenna and I drove to Cheney to go to the Sedgwick County Fair. We stopped at Souders Historical Museum before lunch and looked around. There is a whole wall, in one building, of pictures from about 75 years ago taken in Murdock, Kansas. As we were starting to leave, we met Mrs. Baker, a member of the Souders family who helps run the museum. We asked her if she knew the Rutkowski's and found out she had run the general store in the 40's with G Aunt Eva! She said it was just the two of them during the war and they took care of everything. Small world!

She also knew where the Dibbens' homestead was. She said the house is still standing and being lived in after 20 years of being vacant. It was the site of many Halloween gatherings by the local teens during that time. She said it flooded many times over the years because of how close it is to the river. After getting directions, we started off for the site. It was only 4 or 5 miles from the museum on Norwich Road.

When we got there, we found a silo on the west side of the road all by itself in the middle of an empty field. It seemed familiar like I had seen it in a picture. (yes, I had) On the other side of the road was a farm very close to the river. I stopped along the road and and snapped some pictures but had no idea if I was looking at the right house.

I love mysteries! That's why I love genealogy, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment